Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Sanding Is Hard

For those of you wondering how all my time has been spent lately... this is how:
You can't really tell from the photo, but the only thing visible is bare steel. I've spent the past 7 hours of my free time sanding the thing down so I can re-paint it. First, because I don't want any rust on the frame when I take off. It probably wouldn't be devastating -- rarely do frames just fall apart -- but better safe than sorry. This frame is about 14 years old. It hasn't been used much, but there were some small patches of rust. 

Second, because I want a bike that looks awesome. The rule is that the more you like something, the more you'll use it. That goes for looks, comfort, ease of use, etc. So I'm starting with a sweet looking frame. Well, I'm starting with a frame sanded bare, and I'm going to make it sweet looking. Ready? Here we go.

Also, regarding my comment in the last post about the wheels being great and everything else being crap... that's partly true, and partly not. The wheels do matter the most, along with the tires, and you have to have things that aren't going to break down after mile 1,000. Many bikes out there don't go that far in their lifetime. Most can take it, but you have to be careful not to use the cheapest parts ever. I've gotten away with snagging parts here and there from the shop and on sale, which (in my opinion) is the best way to do things. Anyways, I just have to paint the frame, and then I can slap her together.

No comments:

Post a Comment